In line with the Railway Minister Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu’s budget speech for creation of cross functional Directorates to focus on areas like speed enhancement, motive power depicting Mission Raftaar Ministry of Railways has decided to constitute a new Directorate named as Mobility Directorate in Railway Board’s Office, Rail Bhawan, New Delhi with objective relating to various factors affecting train movement at enhanced speeds.
The Directorate would be headed by HAG level officer of Traffic Department viz. Adviser/Mobility and assisted by Executive Director/Director rank officers of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and S&T Departments posted exclusively in this Directorate.
Broad items of work to be handled by Mobility Directorate would be as under : –
1. Identification & prioritization of train corridors for raising speed;
2. Identification of path for timetabled freight trains;
3. Timetabling issues pertaining to speed of coaching;
4. De-bottleneck of the particular stretch of the network;
5. Monitoring progress of capacity augmentation works required to increase speeds;
6. Asset failures affectivng mobility and corrective action;
8. Condition of rolling stock and speed potential;
9. Permissible speed on track structure;
10. Permanent and Temporary speed restrictions;
11. Other low coast initiatives like IBH and IBS if required;
12. Replacement of Locos hauled trains by DEMU/MEMU; and
13. Any other items/subjects assigned by Board.
This new Directorate will work directly under the supervision of Chairman, Railway Board.