During 2014-15 the Production Units of IR produced
- Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW), Chittaranjan manufactured 250 BG electric locomotives including 145 state-of-the-art 3-phase 6000 HP electric locos (equipped with IGBT technology based propulsion system & auxiliary converters).
- Diesel Locomotive Works (DLW), Varanasi manufactured 266 BG diesel locomotives including 249 indigenous high Horse Power locomotives. Out of these, 16 diesel locomotives were manufactured for Non-Railway Customers (NRCs). Value of sales for NRC locomotive and components from DLW during 2014-15 was Rs171.05 crore.
- Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai manufactured 1,678 coaches including 221 Diesel Electric Multiple Units (DEMUs), 24 self propelled high speed accident relief train (SPART) coaches (8 train sets) and 65 LHB coaches.
- Rail Coach Factory (RCF), Kapurthala manufactured 1480 coaches including 76 Main line Electric Multiple Units (MEMUs) and 350 light weight LHB coaches with higher passenger comfort and amenities
- Rail Wheel Factory (RWF), Bengaluru produced 47,222 wheel-sets. It also manufactured 1,75,175 wheels and 72,479 axles.
- Diesel Loco Modernisation Works (DLMW), Patiala successfully upgraded 60 nos. of diesel electric locomotives to 3100 HP, thus increasing the hauling capacity to the extent of 3 to 4 additional coaches. DMW also manufactured 89 mainline locomotives for IR and exported spares worth Rs158.28 lakhs to Malaysia and Tanzania.
Innovations in EMU/MEMU rakes and Mumbai area
Introduction of new state-of-the-art technology AC/DC EMU rakes in Mumbai area: So far a total of 130 AC/DC EMU Rakes (114 rakes of 12 car & 16 rakes of 9 car) with new state-of-the-art IGBT technology have been manufactured by ICF. Out of these rakes, 129 rakes have already been inducted into services which generated 35% additional carrying capacity. These rakes are energy efficient having regenerative features and also provided with forced ventilation system. With regenerative braking feature, about Rs1 crore/rake is saved per annum in energy consumption.
In addition to the above, two prototype AC EMU rakes of 12 car with new state-of-the-art IGBT technology manufactured by ICF against MUTP-Phase II Project have been put into passenger services after conducting necessary tests and trials by RDSO.
Kolkata Metro: Ministry of Railways have placed an order on M/s Dalian Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co. Ltd., China for design, development, manufacturing, testing & supply of 14 fully furnished energy efficient Kolkata Metro rakes. These new rakes will be equipped with stainless steel car body & IGBT based 3-phase propulsion system with fully suspended Traction motors and have higher acceleration and deceleration besides improved riding characteristics with air suspension arrangement.
In addition to above, for indigenous development of IGBT based 3-phase equipment for manufacturing of Kolkata Metro rakes, ICF has placed developmental order for 3-phase electrics for 2 rake sets on M/s Medha Servo System, Hyderabad.
Provision of Automatics Door closing system & Surveillance camera in suburban services in Mumbai Area:
Western Railway has provided Automatic Door Closing (ADC) system in one of the Ladies coach of EMU suburban train on a trial basis. Western Railway has already been asked to provide ADC system in one unit (3 coaches) for extensive field trials.
Western Railway has also provided Surveillance Cameras in one of the Ladies coach on a trial basis for the safety of lady commuters.
18 Mobile charging points in General coaches:
2 mobile charging points are provided in 4,109 General coaches. The directive for provision of 18 mobile charging points in General coaches has been issued to Zonal Railways. 18 mobile charging points are provided in 196 General coaches. PUs have already cut in for provision of 18 mobile charging points in General coaches.
IR’s bulk requirement of wagons is met by wagon manufacturing units both in public and private sectors as well as PSUs under the administrative control of Ministry of Railways. During the year 2014-15, 11,151 wagons were inducted in Indian Railway System. Out of these, 1,431 wagons (including 790 BLC wagons) were manufactured by railway workshops and the remaining 9,720 wagons including 250 BLC wagons were manufactured by wagon industry.
During the year 2015-16 (upto September 2015), 5,175 wagons were inducted in Indian Railway system. Out of these, 541 wagons (including 185 BLC wagons) were manufactured by Railway Workshops and the remaining 4,634 wagons including 465 BLC wagons were manufactured by wagon industry.
The total value of exports of rolling stock during 2014-15 was Rs190.64 crore. The cumulative value of export of rolling stock/spares up to the end of March 2014 and March, 2015 was Rs2175.56 crore and Rs2366.20 crore, respectively. The value of export of rolling stock/spares during April-September, 2015 was Rs22.56 crore.
The exports during 2014-15 include locos and lease cum maintenance with KTMB to Malaysia.